Quick Start Guide
Quick Start Guide
We’re Dedicated To Giving You A Smooth Ride!
Getting Started With Galveston Web Works
We will guide you through all aspects of your web development project. To get started, let’s look at some of the basics you’ll need:
- Purchase a domain name at GoDaddy or another business.
- We will help you claim and personalize your free Google Maps listing.
- Provide us with a sample site that you like.
- Gather your images and 900 words of text. Check out https://pixabay.com/ for a zillion free images.
- We will develop your site in segments so that you can approve each step along the way.
- When you love your site, we’ll take it live. Take a look at our flat-fee packages.
About Domain Names
Your domain (www.mysite.com) has to be “registered” somewhere. Then the website itself has to be “hosted” on a server somewhere. If you need help with any of this, please give us a call at 409-276-7222.
Domain Name: If you need a domain name GoDaddy or HostGator are good places to buy one. If you want to have your own hosting account this is where you can buy a hosting package as well. Otherwise, we can provide hosting and all the “back-end” server configurations and updates.
GoDaddy will try to sell you all sorts of things that you don’t need so be prepared to wade through a bunch of adverts.
Basic Choices You Need To Make
Color Palette: Your choices of colors is unlimited. We can suggest a palette, or you can send us some web images and we can match the colors precisely. Same is true with background images or textures.
Images: Quality images are vital. We can scour the web for you to find free and paid images. Pixaybay is a good place to start your search. If you search on Google Images be sure to go to Tools >Usage Rights >Labeled for Reuse. Shutterstock has, amazingly, 250,000,000 images for sale. They also have lots of film and footage.
Text: Realize that many readers scan a page, they don’t read it so less is more. The search engines are favorable for articles that are 300 words or better. We have an excellent copywriter on staff.
WebWorks Can Provide You With Many Special Functions
- Reservation systems
- Appointment systems for medical professionals
- Email marketing
- Interactive client reviews
- Online lease applications
- Image and video galleries
- Pretty much anything you can imagine!